Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Peace

Hey friends!

     It has been a crazy first week of no Lane in our lives. She flew out around 10:30 on Thursday morning and safely landed in El Salvador Thursday afternoon around 3:00. The first week has to be the toughest. Throughout these first few days I have learned several things that I never would have imagined learning this quickly.

     First, I learned how much we take for granted the value of a face to face conversation and rely on social networking, text messaging, etc. to have our conversations. After a week without that, it really begins to put in prospective just how much we take advantage of that.

     Next, I have learned the power in having brothers and sisters in Christ. Romans 12:4-5 says " For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, through many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another." These verses have truly come to life for me as I went through a tough week. The number of encouraging text messages or people encouraging me in some way has blown me away. I believe this is truly how the church is to function. It is made clear in Scripture that through Christ we are one body and are to encourage one another. When one part of the body hurts, we all hurt; when one part of the body rejoices, we all rejoice together. God has truly taught me that in just a week. So thank you all so much for your love and support of each of us. There's no words to explain just how grateful we are.

     Lastly, the last thing I have learned is found in Isaiah 26:3-4. These verses say "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.". Our God is a strong God. He is greater than all things and through Him are all things. He is capable of holding and sustaining everything, and chooses to because He loves us. We are not capable of holding any situation or circumstance that may come our way. This verse taught me that when we keep our focus on Him, there we find peace. He is Jehovah Shalom, the God of peace. I think though, that it is important to ask the question, what exactly is peace?

      A lot of people would relate the word peace to the opposite of war time. But that isn't what true peace is. The word shalom translated means wholeness, being complete, or well being. Peace means having things properly designed and well ordered, harmony and balance. Peace is more than an emotion. Its not something that changes based on what life throws at you. Peace stays calm in the calm and in the middle of the storm when everything else around is chaos. We know that in our lifetime there will be trouble and hard times. Jesus tells us this in John 16:33. Its one thing for the world to be falling apart, but another thing for us to be falling apart with it. We can find our rest in God though, because He has already won and overcome the world.

     So how do we find peace? By abiding in Him. We must keep our minds and hearts focused completely on Him, seeking to constantly align our thoughts underneath God's point of view. I have learned that this is truly the only way to have peace. By abiding in Him, seeking Him in everything, and staying in constant communion with Him, I have learned and felt a true peace even though the world around me seems absolutely crazy.

     My prayer for each of you this week is that you would find and experience this week, just as I have. The world around may seem crazy, but I pray that you would lean into Christ even more during this time and by seeking and abiding in Him, that you would find His peace that passes all understanding. As always, I am available to talk any time if you need to talk you can find my phone number and email both on our bio. We love you guys thank you for each of your continued prayer and support!


-Watson

No comments:

Post a Comment